♥ I sew stuff, I crochet stuff, I make other stuff, I talk about stuff, and well...you know...stuff! ♥

January 1, 2013

Green Smoothie Challenge

I'm not usually much of a resolution kind of girl but this year I really do need to give my way of living an overhaul! The festive season has left me feeling bloated and uncomfortable and my unhealthy lifestyle combined with my fragile mental state has rendered me lethargic, unable to wake up in the mornings and extremely low.

It's such a vicious cycle; low mood and low energy levels means comfort eating, comfort eating means low energy, low energy means no exercise which would help to combat the feelings and raise energy levels, the lack of exercise and comfort eating means low mood and low energy! I could go on making links but I think you get the jist!

I already notice that when I eat healthily I feel tonnes better and when I exercise I have better energy levels, with me it's almost instantaneous if I just make the change for a day! My low mood however has seriously affected the motivation to begin to try.

I also have IBS which progressively gets worse as time goes by, I often have terrible stomach cramps and an inflated tummy! I have also had arthritis but as it was reactive it has almost stopped affecting me, I am no longer on any medication for it! With the latter in mind, I need to take good care of myself as a flare-up could be round the next corner.

The silly thing is, I really enjoy eating fruit and vegetables, I much prefer eating a stack of veg than the meat and starch part of my dinner!

So no more take-away's twice at the weekend and no more cop-out mid-week dinners. It's all healthy and home-made from here!



I saw the 30 day green smoothie challenge on Instagram, I had been advised by someone on Twitter before to drink green smoothies; she does every day and says she feels so much better and has improved energy levels! I just didn't know where to start with recipes.

This challenge provides you with an instant download that contains 5 recipes, and they also post recipes on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.

I am hoping it's not going to cost too much in fruit and vegetables, however the money saved on take-away's probably more than covers it!

I hope to blog about my journey every day, the improvements I discover with how I feel and my discoveries and tips in the world of smoothie making!

Hopefully, by the end of January I will feel like a new person - I have high expectations!!

So, I shall be starting my smoothies tomorrow, today I have eaten just brown toast, half a grapefruit and am now supping on a hot lemon and honey to cleanse! I shall eat a homemade dinner with plenty of vegetables - my healthy and delicious sausage cassoulet!

I have never been good at sticking to these things, I usually give up due to my shocking dips in energy I have, I truly hope I keep at being healthy overall, with the odd treat every now and then!


5 comments:

  1. Good luck and I hope it helps. I also suffer with IBS and find that juicing really helps. I also never drink caffeine and only have herbal tea.

    We just got a text from Papa Johns about a pizza deal and deleted straight away. DANGEROUS hehe!

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! Yes I shall be throwing away the daily take-away menus we get through our letterbox!! x

      Delete
  2. good luck - I also suffer from IBS but having a lot of fruit makes it worse and advice is often to limit fresh fruit to only 3 portions(80g each) per day.

    So would be worth making a food and symptom diary to go along with the healthy eating challenge

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I have wondered that as a lot of vegetables does seem to make it worse for me...don't know about fruit yet!

      That's great advice so I think I will keep a symptom and food diary!

      Xx

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good plan to me and good luck! And it's ok to have bad days and good days. If you have a slip up don't dwell on it, write the day off and start again tomorrow. There's no point beating yourself up about it. :)

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love receiving and reading your comments and appreciate the time spent when you do, so thank you very much ♥