♥ I sew stuff, I crochet stuff, I make other stuff, I talk about stuff, and well...you know...stuff! ♥

November 1, 2012

Crochet granny jar cover

I have been spending my evenings crocheting some jar covers. I love the look of candles but I am scared of them! I am happier when I can have a tea light covered by a big jar then I am safe and secure in the knowledge that my cats won't be running around with their tails on fire! The crocheted jar covered candle holders make very pretty patterns when they are lit.

The pink and cream covers are from this pattern, I was inspired by SnipSnapHappy after seeing her jars on Instagram. Then it seems that these jar covers were popping up all over Instagram by various people who were using different patterns. I particularly liked the top of Nicki's jar covers, she used this pattern. What I really wanted though, was a crocheted granny jar cover, as I just can't get enough of the old granny stitch! So with the hints and tips I have found from all other patterns and the bits that inspired me, I created my very own granny jar cover pattern! It went very well indeed - well, it is a very easy pattern! This is the blue cover that you can see.

I still have 3 jars left to cover so my next one will be a multi-coloured granny stripe!

I have put the pattern at the end of this post for you, I hope you like it.





Granny jar cover




Make a chain of stitches that fit snugly round your jar, it needs to be quite tight so it fits nicely and stays round the bottom. The chain needs to be divisible by 4. Join with a sl st in 1st ch.

For my jar, I chained 40.

Row 1 - ch 3 (counts as one dc), then dc in every ch st, join with a sl st to 3rd ch.

Row 2 - ch 3 (counts as one dc) 2 dc in same st, ch 1. Skip 3 ch st, *3 dc in the next st, ch 1, skip 3 st* (basically, in every 4th st, you make a granny cluster) repeat from * until you are 3 ch st away from beginning of row, join with a sl st in 3rd ch.

Repeat row 2 until you have reached the top of the bulgy part of the jar and the slimmer screwy part is still showing. Keep trying on the cover to determine when to stop.

For the next row you will do the same as row 2 but omit the ch 1's in between each granny cluster. This will tighten it up a bit for the slimmer part of the jar.

Final row, Ch 3 (counts as one dc), 3 dc in same st, sl st in middle st of granny cluster, *5dc in next gap in between granny clusters, sl st in middle st of granny cluster*, repeat from * until the end, dc in same gap as ch3 and 3dc to make up 5th st in that cluster.

I will make a tutorial soon, but for now you'll have to make sense of my pattern!!

If you need any help, then do email me at meanyjar@gmail.com

Happy crocheting!


5 comments:

  1. I love the effect when the candles are in!!!
    thank you for sharing,
    xxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the granny stitch! Thanks for sharing this.....now I'm going to have to start ANOTHER one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cute! What a great idea, thanks for sharing!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for a good pattern to use for making jar candle holders. Just a quick question, are you using UK or US crochet terms? ;)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you ever end up doing a video tutorial?

    ReplyDelete

♥ I love receiving and reading your comments and appreciate the time spent when you do, so thank you very much ♥